HeRiTaGe  

Posted by docsala

It was pure nonchalance when Dr. Primy Chua invited me to join the Gusi Peace Prize last November 24 at the Meralco Theatre. Naturally I said yes. Feeling close with the powers that be has its quirks afterall.
So I went and I was even more fascinated with the people I met. The Gusi Peace Prize is a foundation which seeks to give honor to distinguished individuals with exemplary contributions to peace, human rights, medicine, and the performing arts. It sounds very much like the Nobel Peace Prize or the Ramon Magsaysay award and you're probably right it is pretty much the same.
Ambassadors and famous personalities abound the place and I was honored that I had the opportunity to talk with one of the laurels for Medicine Dr. Harold Lindsay Thompson of Australia.

And what I witnessed was beyond me.

For they were ordinary people who simply believed in our common humanity. And in the end, I understood that it was not the titles even though they were foreign ministers, diplomats and presidents, rather it was the kindness that was more important for them.

The kindness in the face of HIV, Malaria, Poverty and Social Injustice. The kindness in the face of all aridity and disenchantment.

Something that I know will take me a lifetime to understand.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 at Tuesday, November 25, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

1 comments

Hope one day you'd be a recipient of their prestigious awards!

November 26, 2008 at 6:15 AM

Post a Comment