iN tHe cOmFoRt oF AnGeLs  

Posted by docsala

It was after Christmas when I received a call from Dr. Philip Cruz to join the toy giving mission among pediatric patients in Metro Manila through an organization called the Guardian Angels of America.

A ray of hope flickers in the sky

And like most volunteers, I actually came for the free toys. It was a selfish motive I know and yet when I saw Winnie the Pooh's bouncy friend, Tigerr, I wanted to get one for myself. That is of course until I met Rachel - the girl in the picture.

A tiny star lights up way up high

It is a typical story and you probably heard it before. No money. No nothing. Brought in the hospital for cough. Diagnosed with some sort of blood carcinoma after the laboratory tests. Sad story. Typical sad story.

A silent wish sails the seven seas

I think she must have seen my Tigerr because she was staring at it. So I eventually gave it to her - the most cherished of all the toys I had that day.

The winds of change whisper in the trees

She smiled a little. Half grinning but enough to make her father notice.

And the walls of doubt crumble, tossed and torn

Her father thanked me and I went on giving gifts to other children.

This comes to pass, when a child is born.

I suddenly remembered that Christmas is not about me. It is about them.

This entry was posted on Saturday, December 27, 2008 at Saturday, December 27, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment