LeGaCy ViRuS  

Posted by docsala

I went to a convention today. You know one of those nice snippets where they get to present all these latest advancement in technology, science and treatment modalities. I actually just went there because I was expecting to get a pillow but there were only these pens and bags and a whole lot of crap.
Then halfway through the convention I got interested. I think because there was all this talk about infections. Oh you know, those sexually transmitted infections. Hepatitis, HIV you name it and they got it. And it was weird. Weird because the speaker seems to be stating statistics and there was no clear discussion on treatment modalities. Does he realize that HIV has become a chronic disease as of 2008? Or that it's not actually a death sentence anymore. Unless of course you don't take those antiretrovirals and we know you'll eventually end 6 feet underground.
So I guess its fine to go unprotected sex once again. I'm kidding of course. Wear those condoms please. Other physicians reading this blog might think of me as renegade doctor. In the same league as those who advertise sillimarin capsules or Athro. I mean I wouldn't want to besmirch the reputation of the Filipino physicians. Besides, those antiretrovirals really cost a lot. I mean A LOT

There is hope he said. I like his last message and the power point presentation. But the weird thing was that he seems to believe that abstinence is the key to preventing the spread of the disease. A for abstinence. It was really like this kindergarten song. A your adorable, B your so beautiful.
Is it just me or are we back to the middle ages once again? What ever happened to condoms?

There's this other thing he mentioned that made me smile. He said the Lewinsky-Clinton thing can also spread the disease. I was smiling because I was thinking if there was really a study done on that. I mean those who prefer Oral sex proceed to Room 1 and those who do not like oral sex to Room 2. Would you choose Room 1 or Room 2? Or both? Assuming of course the real deal is in Room 3. So you know how hard it is to make up a conclusion about sexual practices right? We can't just enumerate all these practices and say, this causes that. It has to be backed by evidence. Everything these days has to be backed with evidence.

Please understand that in the end, medicine is an ever-changing science. And that what we practice today will eventually change. I mean Vioxx used to be very in before but with now we don't use it anymore. Or remember the weight reduction drug Adifax?

To those non physicians who read this blog please understand that doctors are also human beings. Meaning they also get scared of what they do not understand. I mean I got scared when I saw my nth case of Meningococemia few months ago. But we are mandated by our conscience and our laws to show compassion at the very least.

I hope something exciting happens again tomorrow. So at least I can get my 2500 worth of membership dues.

This entry was posted on Thursday, June 26, 2008 at Thursday, June 26, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment