In DeFeNsE oF ApOLLo  

Posted by docsala

It is always fascinating to her Dr. Rebosa talk. When I was still a medical student, I remember his lessons on how to escape those kotong cops by mere wit and charm. Of course, I could never be as lawyerly as he is. I mean he rocks.
So anyway his topic was very much alive even at 8 in the morning. While most delegates were busy making coffee, he was actually discussing all the things that I thought I already knew as a physician. Apparently, as I eventually found out, I still lacked exposure with the real world.
Case 1. A doctor was handcuffed and detained by the police for allegedly conspiring to kill a patient in front of the media that is. It was horrible because of the fact that even the NURSES were included. And somehow when Dr. Rebosa talked about it, I can't help but feel the pain of the doctor. Is this how we are being portrayed? Don't we have rights? Are we even aware of our rights as doctors?
Case 2. An anesthesiologist settled with a 7 figure sum for allegedly causing comatose to a patient.
Case 3. A cardiologist also settled with about 4 million for allegedly ordering a treadmill test and while the patient was on the treadmill, the patient apparently died.

I know, those non doctors are thinking but somebody just died. Who is responsible? Isn't it the doctor? Alangan naman the patient pa? Or maybe the technicians who didn't do anything while the patient had chest pain.

Complicated I know. Because the first premise is that doctors are not Gods and second and most important, there is no such thing as 100% in science, even in diagnosis. So it's really tough. And when somebody files a lawsuit on you, it will take its toll. Heavily. Besides the fact that you were not able to save the patient who trusted everything to you, you get to deal with lawyers.

So his answer? Defensive Medicine. And refer. Yes, refer those Pilosopo Tasyo's to those classmates you hated in medicine. I mean he was right is saying it is just not worth it. Four hundred pesos for a lawsuit waiting to happen? Good riddance.

There I was listening to him talk lawyerly about the present predicament of doctors when I suddenly realized, sooner or later those cases that I just read about will happen to my colleagues, or even to me. And soon the Dr. Rebosa's of the world will retire. When that time comes, who will defend me? Do I even know my rights? And my obligations?

Interesting times. Especially with that ABS CBN reporter lambasting Filipino doctors left and right. I do hope she really understands what she is fighting for. Or that she realizes the implications of her actions. Because it is easy to say that you are fighting for truth with just one experience of a loved ones death.

But it is altogether another thing to actually understand suffering and seeing people loose their loved ones magnified thousands of times. From leprosy to Tetanus to HIV. Like what we experience every freaking day of our duties from clerkship, internship, residency to even being consultants. Is she even aware that we are at risk or acquiring PTB, Hepatitis, HIV and a whole lot of diseases she just even reads about?

She does not understand. Like all those before her, she thinks that by spending a segment on Pulmonary Tuberculosis she will know what Tuberculosis really is all about.

She does not comprehend that it takes more than a big mouth to carry the caduceus.

This entry was posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 at Friday, June 27, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment