I heart Malaysia  

Posted by docsala

It was a hot summer day when my mom urged me to travel to malaysia. Whether it was the heat or the sheer hopelessness, I immediately said yes. And it was a decision I was glad I made.
The first impression I had of malaysia was that it was just like the Philippines with a warm climate and since my friends always told me it was Like the Philippines, I assumed beggars were practically everywhere. I was wrong.
The minute I arrived at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, I was shocked. It wasn't like the Philippines at all. In fact it was the absolute opposite of the Philippines. The airport was orderly and there was a train that leads directly from the airport to KL Central, and the people where generally hospitable. There was also this nice chinese guy who offered to take our pictures while in the train without stealing our camera. The streets were clean and it was practically safe to walk even at night. And least I forget the majestic Petronas Towers--a massive edifice symbolizing Malaysia's wealth. Talagang walang ganyan sa Pilipinas. What is more ironic I found out later was that in Malaysia, we didn't have to pay for an airport fee and yet they have the most up to date and high tech airport in the world. Their citizens don't have to line to immigration. All they need is a passport and there's a computer program that recognizes their signature.
We filipinos pride ourselves as the only predominantly christian country in asia and I don't know if its the corruption, the greed, the kayabangan or the religious fervor but we are really way behind our asian counterparts. We don't even have a cable car or a bullet train, or anything to feel proud of. Our so called officials are busy using our taxes for their mansions and wives. Then again that's another brian gorrell story.
Another site I found fascinating was the Batu caves, an enchanted temple for the Budhists and travelers alike. The caves were impressive and the temples were beautiful. A living reminder of how nature predominated in most asian religion.
I really love Malaysia. I had fond memories of that place. In time, I'll probably go back.
In the meantime, I still have a few more countries to explore...

This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 8, 2008 at Tuesday, April 08, 2008 . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Anonymous  

ganda naman ng malaysia

April 10, 2008 at 10:14 PM
Anonymous  

mag-comment ako eh sabi mo eh. hehehehe....

April 11, 2008 at 12:03 AM
Anonymous  

Go to Bukit Bintang to get a feel of Manila's slum

April 12, 2008 at 6:07 AM
Anonymous  

actually maganda bukit bintang
way way better than quiapo

April 12, 2008 at 9:26 PM
Anonymous  

I had a very pleasant experience in Msia last 2005 when I attended a one-week Asian Medical Students Confrence..been to Putrajaya, KL, technical tours in hospitals/univ, and cultural presentation/pasyal at Genting Highlands..and my friend and I even managed to dropby sa Singapore (7hrs lng bus trip)...til now, kachat at kafrendster ko pa rin mga Msians..mbabait nga sila.

Malaysia, truly Asia! =)

April 15, 2008 at 9:49 PM

Post a Comment